Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My Plan

Most lives are lived with the thought of what is to come. I believe that this is the reason there is so much depression in the world. People go through life trying to guess what the future holds which a lot of the time leads to failure. I have been able to witness this by growing up in the “South Bay Bubble” in which outside pressure gets the best of people. I admit that I use to be a victim of the bubble in which my entire life revolved around certain outcomes and what the future holds. However, with the tragic passing of one of my best friends, Mason, I began to realize that maybe the future wasn’t as important as the present.

            My goal for the future is to try and slow down the present. I grew up with the sole purpose of becoming as rich as I could possibly become. I thought that if I did this, then all the good will have to follow. However, my parents use to always say, “If you had to choose wealth or happiness, which would you choose?” Due to my immaturity, I would answer wealth in a heartbeat because I just always thought of happiness as a subunit of wealth. As I mature, I realize that when I slow down my life and begin to smell the roses, and realize that the gift of life itself is truly priceless. Happiness is a virtue. Life is nothing short of a gift and we are so incredibly lucky to be given each and every day. Once people begin to realize that greed leads to a dead end, while respect, love, and most importantly happiness leads to a road of endless opportunities, this is when they will truly be able to enjoy the gift of life.

3 comments:

  1. I agree Brett! I am so glad we have been best friends all our lives. I admire the way you look at everyday as a fresh outlook on life and happiness that puts a smile on everyones face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved growing up with you and especially being your neighbor. Your positivity, energy, and big smile has always created an impact on my life and everyone around you. You have a great future ahead of you and I am excited to see you kill it at Penn State! Love you bubba!

    ReplyDelete